For anyone who finds themselves in these circumstance, it is not uncommon for them to go through a number of emotional stages, including:
- shock (of the initial event and related notification);
- anger (at their boss, organization, un-affected peers and coworkers);
- embarrassment (what will people think of me);
- self-doubt (will I ever land on my feet);
- disappointment (when rejection is experienced relating to positions they have applied to);
- excitement (as they receive job offers); and
- exhilaration (when they land their next career opportunity).
Nothing should ever be assumed when recruiting and selecting talent for any search assignment!